Lesson 12 - Networking That Gets Results
You can get everything in life you want if you’ll just help enough other people get what they want
-- Zig Ziglar
I tapped into Stu Karmen's network, and then the Think & Grow rich newsletter's network. The power networking is nothing short of awesome!
If given the choice, wouldn't you like to succeed sooner rather than later? Well, networking is a way to leverage your own efforts and accelerate the place at which you get results.
The Benefits Of Networking
While your success starts with you, it grows with people. You can't succeed on a grand scale all by yourself.
That's why networking is so important.
Networking = the development of relationships with people for mutual benefit.
- Generate new clients
- Increase employment opportunities
- Help finding the right people for critical positions
- Enhance your social relationships by introducing you to new friends
- Great source of informations and resources
To enhance our network:
ATTITUDE AND ACTION
- Project a winning attitude. Be positive and enthusiastic. People will want to spend time with you and to help you.
- Participate actively in groups. Volunteer.
- Serve others in your network. Always ask "How can I serve others?" instead of "What's in for me?".
Getters don't get. Givers get.
-- Eugene Benge
Mark is one of those people who just keep giving, and giving, and giving…
That's why people wnat to help Mark, and that's one of the reason why his own business is growing!
As the Bible says "Give and it shall be given unto you." That's the truth!
- If you refer someone, make sure that the person mentions your name as the source of the referral.
- Be selective. Don't refer every person you meet.
- Be a good listener. We've all run into the "Me, me, me" guy, and they're the last people you want to help. So in your conversation, focus on drawing other people out.
- Call people from time to time just because you care. Business is simply a by-product of re-connecting with people you care.
You can succeed best and quickest by help- ing others to succeed.
-- Napoleon Hill
- Take advantage of everyday opportunities to meet people.
- Treat every person as important.
- At meetings and seminars, make it a point to meet different people. You'll reap greater benefits if you make the extra effort to meet new faces.
- Be willing to go beyong your comfort zone. If you have the urge to introducce yourself, do it despite of being nervous. You'll get more comfortable with time.
- Ask for what you want. As long as you've done your best to serve others in your network, don't be shy, people will be more than willing to return the favor.
- Send a prompt note after meeting someone for the first time. A note about how much you enjoyed the time.
- Acknowledge powerful presentations or articles. Send a note to the speaker telling how much you enjoyed and learned from the message. One person in a hundred will do this. Be the one who does!
- When you receive a referral or helpful material, always send back a thank you note for the appreciation.
- Send congratulation cards and letters. For success, celebration, marriage, new child, death.
Building Your Network
There are many many other ways to develop your network that are covered in books and it's worth taking a look at your library.
CONCLUSION - Change Your Attitude and You Change Your Life
To change your circumstances, first start thinking differently.
-- Norman Vincent Peale
Act as if it were impossible to fail.
-- Dorothea Brande
When you focus on these ideas, and take action to implement them, you're on the way to creating some exciting breakthroughts in your life.
It's the rare individual who applies the success principles discussed in this book on a daily basis.
It's the rare individual who constantly maintains a positive attitude, knowing that his thoughts will become a reality.
It's the rare individual who watches the words he uses, knowing that he's programming his mind for success, mediocrity or failure.
It's the rare individual who has the guts to confront his fears, because that's where his potential will be developed.
It's the rare individual who look for the silver lining in every dark cloud.
And it's the rare individual who makes a commitment, follow through with a positive attitude, and has the persistence to get the job done.
I challenge you to be this rare individual.
You have the potential to become more than you ever dreamed.
You have greatness within you, and your attitude is the key to unlocking that potential.
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.
It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people say or do.
It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home.
The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.
We cannot change our past, we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.
We cannot change the inevitable.
The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes.
" -- Charles Swindoll