30 Days to a better man
How much do I want to read more? 7/10
It looks like there are nice wisdom here to improve one's life.
originally appeared on the Art of Manliness website in June 2009.
The goal of this project was simple: to encourage men to be better men in all areas of their lives.
The name of the game here is small steps.
Day1 - Define Your Core Values
The Importance of Clearly Defining Your Core Values
Defining our values gives us purpose.
When you don’t know or you haven’t clearly defined your values, you end up drifting along in life. Instead of basing your decisions on an internal com- pass, you make choices based on circumstances and social pressures.
Conversely, living a life in line with your core values brings purpose, direction, happiness, and wholeness.
Defining our values prevents us from making bad choices.
if you haven’t clearly defined your values, you can end up mak- ing choices that conflict with them. And when your actions con- flict with your values, the result is unhappiness and frustration.
Defining our values gives us confidence
I’ve noticed that when I take the time to really think and meditate upon what I value as a man and then write those things down, I’m more likely to have the courage and confidence to make choices based on those values. There’s something about actually writing down your values that makes you more committed to living them.
Defining our values makes life simpler.
When faced with a choice, you simply ask yourself, “Does this action align with my values?” If it does, you do it. If it doesn’t, you don’t.
How to Discover Your Values
Goals are specific actions, like “becoming financially independent by age 30” or “asking my girlfriend to marry me this June.” What we are looking for are values: the ideas that you esteem to be of great worth and that give structure to your life.
- Get nice and relaxed.
- Have the proper tools. Have a pen and paper handy so you can write down your values as they come to you.
- Ask yourself this question: “What’s truly important to me as a man?”. Think about those moments in your life when you felt completely whole and fulfilled as a man. Think about the times when you’ve been the happiest.
- Write down whatever comes to you. When you have a moment of insight about what’s important to you, write it down. Don’t self-cen- sor yourself.
- If you have more than five values, eliminate some.
- Prioritize. Ideally, your core values complement each other, but there might be times when two or more conflict. When that happens, which value will trump? look for creative ways to combine them. For example, family might be your top priority, but so is volunteering. When you have the choice of spending time with your kids or signing up to help at a charity event, do both by bringing the kiddos along with you.
- Peace of mind
Write your 5 core values.