breaking the habit of being yourself - How to lose your mind and create a new one
How much do I want to read more? 9/10
This is one of the book that really speaks to me (from the table of contents) and I firmly believe, can be life changing.
I just got to read this one.
It's a mix of law of attraction, mindfulness, self-actualization.
FOREWORD - Daniel G. Amen, M.D., author of Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Your brain is involved in everything you do, including how you think, how you feel, how you act, and how well you get along with other people.
It’s the organ of personality, character, intelligence, and every decision you make.
when your brain works right, you work right, and when your brain is troubled, you are much more likely to have trouble in your life.
your moment-by-moment thoughts exert a powerful healing effect on the brain … or they can work to your detriment.
One of the most exciting lessons I have learned is that people can literally change their brains and change their lives by engaging in regular brain-healthy habits, such as correcting negative beliefs and using meditative processes such as those discussed by Dr. Dispenza.
My last scan looks healthier and much younger than it did 20 years earlier. My brain has literally aged backward—that’s how changeable your brain is, too.
INTRODUCTION - The Greatest Habit You Can Ever Break Is the Habit of Being Yourself
Go Beyond Knowing … to Knowing How
I wrote Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself to serve as a practical, how-to companion to Evolve Your Brain.
all we need to make significant changes in our lives. This is a time when not only do we want to “know,” but we want to “know how.
When you and I can connect the dots of what science is discovering about the nature of reality, and when we give ourselves permission to apply those principles in our day-to-day existence, then each of us becomes both a mystic and a scientist in our own life.
What I mean is that if you make the effort to change your inner world of thoughts and feelings, your external environment should begin to give you feedback to show you that your mind has had an effect on your “outer” world.
Once you can open your mind to the way things really are, and let go of your conditioned beliefs with which you are accustomed to framing reality, you should see the fruits of your efforts. That is my wish for you.
We should never wait for science to give us permission to do the uncommon; if we do, then we are turning science into another religion. We should be brave enough to contemplate our lives, do what we thought was “outside the box,” and do it repeatedly.
True empowerment comes when we start to look deeply at our beliefs. We may find their roots in the conditioning of religion, culture, society, education, family, the media, and even our genes.
Then we weigh those old ideas against some new paradigms that may serve us better.
Times are changing. As individuals awaken to a greater reality, we are part of a much larger sea change. Our current systems and models of reality are breaking down, and it is time for something new to emerge.
Change as a Choice, Instead of a Reaction
It seems that human nature is such that we balk at changing until things get really bad and we’re so uncomfortable that we can no longer go on with business as usual.
We wait for crisis, trauma, loss, disease, and tragedy before we get down to looking at who we are, what we are doing, how we are living, what we are feeling, and what we believe or know, in order to embrace true change.
We can learn and change in a state of pain and suffering, or we can evolve in a state of joy and inspiration.
learning how to change your life involves knowledge and the application of that knowledge.
Part I: The Science of You
Our exploration will start with an overview of philosophical and scientific paradigms related to the latest research about the nature of reality, who you are, why change has been so difficult for so many, and what is possible for you as a human being.
- Chapter 1: The Quantum. your (subjective) mind has an effect on your (objective) world. where you direct your attention is where you place your energy. As a consequence, you affect the material world. why do I keep my attention on that small percentage of the physical world when I am so much more? Is defining my present reality by what I perceive with my senses the biggest limitation I have?
- Chapter 2: Overcoming the Environment. if you allow the outer world to control how you think and feel, you create more of the same.
- Chapter 3: Overcoming the Body. we unconsciously live by a set of memorized behaviors, thoughts, and emotional reactions, all running like computer programs behind the scenes of our conscious awareness.
- Chapter 4: Overcoming Time. we either live in the anticipation of future events or repeatedly revisit past memories. When you learn how to use your attention and access the present, you will enter through the door to the quantum field, where all potentials exist.
- Chapter 5: Survival vs. Creation. Living in survival entails living in stress and functioning as a materialist, believing that the outer world is more real than the inner world. when you are truly in the elegant state of creation, you are no body, no thing, no time—you forget about yourself. You become pure consciousness, free from the chains of the identity that needs the outer reality to remember who it thinks it is.
Part II: Your Brain and Meditation
- Chapter 6: Three Brains: Thinking to Doing to Being. if you can mentally rehearse a desired experience via thought alone, you will experience the emotions of that event before it has physically manifested.
- Chapter 7: The Gap. to break free from the emotions that you’ve memorized, which have become your personality. close the gap between who you really are in your inner, private world and how you appear in the outer, social world. If you can predict the feeling of every experience in your life, there is no room for anything new to occur, because you are viewing your life from the past instead of the future. Ultimately, you will create transparency. When how you appear is who you are, you are truly free.
- Chapter 8: Meditation, Demystifying the Mystical, and Waves of Your Future. so that you know what you are doing and why. the true purpose of meditation is to get beyond the analytical mind and enter into the subconscious mind so you can make real and permanent changes. If you get up from meditation as the same person who sat down, nothing has happened to you on any level.
Part III: Stepping Toward Your New Destiny
applying yourself in an actual discipline—a mindful exercise to use in your daily life.
When you comprehend the what and the why, the more you will know and thus the more you will know how when the time comes.
It is my sincere passion that you, too, break the habit of being yourself and create the new life you desire.