The Boron Letters
How much do I want to read more? 8/10
I love those kind of "Reflexions" a father may give his son, or we may give to our younger self. It's like gathering all the experience we had, and reflect on them, and give a summary of the most important things, of what matters.
Those kind of writing are powerful, because they help us to focus on what matters, and not to get drifted in a wrong path for too long.
Our time is precious, and this helps us to make a better use of our precious time.
What I liked about it:
- The tone of the letters is close to the reader. A one-o-one conversation.
- He gives the best advice he can give according to his experience (Exercice, Fasting, Diet…)
- He really cares about his craft. About his "clients", the reader of his ads. He's creative, he think all day about new ways to improve and test his ideas.
- Nice to read, with space, small paragraphs and easy words.
What I didn't like that much:
- After the first few letters, all the focus is on copywriting. I wish there was more "general life" wisdom inside.
- After the first few letters, we don't get the feedback from the son as used to have.
- It's a bit outdated, even if most of it is still relevant.
- The overall is a bit manipulative, for the sake of being rich.
Some ideas and quotes from the book:
- Don't rely on others.
- Don't tell your plan about making money. What you'll mostly get is negativity, because they relate your attempt with their own failures or lack of courage in making their own money.
- Rely On Your Own Strength Instead Of Somebody Else's Compassion
- Defensive behavior invites aggressive action
- when you "get tough" not only does your appearance change; your "signals" change.
- We all have people in our lives we are stuck dealing with. screw that.
- A support system is like a garden and you always need to be on the lookout for weeds to pull.
- money, is most often a by product of enthusiasm.
- when you need to hire someone. Always look for the most enthusiastic person, not necessarily the most qualified.
- When it comes to making money, attitude is the most important thing of all.
- The very first thing you must come to realize is that you must become a "student of markets".
- the first and the most important thing you must learn is what people want to buy.
- to constantly be on the look out for groups of people starving for some particular product or service.
- Sell People What They Want To Buy
- if you halt every time you get a little tired or irritable; then you are suffering from a lack of discipline. On the other hand, if you keep pushing when you are chronically tired, then you are a fool.
- When things are tough, just keep moving in some sort of positive direction.
- Getting attention is crucial
- Lead him by the hand and take him exactly where you want him to go.
- when you actually write out a good ad in your own handwriting, the words and the flow becomes a part of you.
- a good writer is one who makes things perfectly clear. He makes it easy for the reader.
- I believe our decision is made up in the first fraction of a second that we see something new.
- read your copy out loud and correct until it is completely smooth
- A guy with a new product cannot always find a hot market, but a guy who has uncovered a hot market can always find a product to fill the needs of that market.
- It doesn't matter how much you learn if you don't use what you learn
- difference between people who make it in any field and those who do not: Awareness
- Most people walk around with their heads in the sand. They are lost in a fog.
- Prison is a microcosm of society and weak fish are gobbled up fast. What you must be here is alert.
- you never know when opportunity will knock and, if you are smart, you must be ready.
- Most people who are on top of things and "aware" usually know what time it is within a few minutes
- He did divide his $1,000.00 contribution into 1,000 - one dollar bills and then mail these bills to 1,000 different people.
- Don't forget HALT. Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired.
- when I am off, I drop out of sight and do what is necessary to strengthen myself.
- People can smell it when you are weak. When you are vulnerable. They can smell success too.
- One of the things I have learned here is how precious the good times and the good people are
This letter is going to be the first in a long series of letters in which I will
attempt to communicate to you a lot of the important things I have learned in the last 46 years.
- selling by mail
- getting and staying healthy
- how to get along with people
- how to have a good life
The first thing I want to talk about is "road work". Road work is walking, jogging and running. And, in my opinion, you should do about one hour of road work everyday of the week except Sunday. I believe the best time to do your road work is right after you get out of bed.
get out of bed, (early) wash your face, brush your teeth, use the bathroom, etc., and then, eat a piece of fruit (I think a banana is the best) and then hit the street!
Walk, run, jog. Keep moving for about 1/2 hour.
I really do believe this is the very best way in the world to start the day. It cleans you out. It will also make you more clearheaded and improve the quality of your thinking. it won't be long at all till you become positively addicted to your early morning workout.
This stuff about doing road work the first thing in the morning is very close to being the most important thing of all.